Friday, November 14, 2014

West Virgnia: Jill Upson (R) becomes first black Republican woman elected to WV House of Delegates

Jill Upson is the new Republican member-elect of the West Virginia House of Delegates, representing District 65.

On Election Day last week, Republican Jill Upson defeated Democrat Tiffany Lawrence for the House of Delegates in the 65th District.
Jill Upson was born in California. After marrying her husband who works in the military, they had to relocate every two years. Eleven years ago, she and her husband moved to Charles Town in Jefferson County. Upson decided then she didn’t want to live anywhere else.
“When we got to this area, I just fell in love with it, and I just decided I’m done, that’s it, I’m going to stay here," Upson said, "And so he continued to receive orders, and move every two years, and I still stayed put. He’s been all over the place, but I stayed and raised my children in Jefferson County.”