Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How My High School Report on Malcolm X Turned Me Republican

                   Malcolm X

Growing up in a black neighborhood in Oakland, California pretty much guaranteed that I was destined to be a Democrat. As a child whatever exposure I was given to politics had a simple message, Democrats are good and Republicans are bad. When I became a teenager I accept this as gospel and when Barack Obama was elected President this confirmed all I had been taught and was excited to become old enough to one day follow in his footsteps and be a strong Democrat to fight the good fight and bring social justice to black folks all over. However, in my junior year of high school I was given an assignment to write a term paper and this changed my entire outlook on life and America. I chose to write my report on Malcolm X and by the time I was finished it was obvious to me that I was a Republican.

I’m not suggesting that Malcolm X was a Republican, in fact to my knowledge he never did align himself with either party, but it clear to me that his philosophy for black empowerment was without doubt a conservative one and had he not been murdered his message of self-reliance and the importance of a black-owned business base would have led to a stronger black community today and less dependence on the Democratic Party and its desire to spread the growth of the welfare state.