Wednesday, February 11, 2015

GOP Honors History Making Black Republican Trailblazers At Awards Luncheon

 
Image Source: Republican National Committee


WASHINGTON –Today, at the historic Howard Theatre in Washington, DC, the Republican National Committee (RNC) hosted its 3rd Annual Black Republican Trailblazer Awards luncheon. The annual event celebrates Black History Month by honoring black Republicans who have blazed a path for future leaders.

This year, the RNC is honoring posthumously former Republican Senator Edward Brooke, III of Massachusetts, the first black American popularly elected to the United States Senate. In addition, the RNC gave awards to present day history makers. Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), the first black Senator elected from the South since Reconstruction; U.S. Representative Mia Love (R-UT), the first black Republican woman to serve in Congress; and U. S. Representative Will Hurd (R-TX), the first black Republican elected to Congress from Texas, complete the honoree class of 2015.

Roland Martin, host and managing editor of TVOne’s daily morning show, NewsOne Now, co-hosted the event along with CNN Political Commentator and Blaze TV contributor Tara Setmayer Love. Successful businessman, philanthropist and owner of the New York Jets, Woody Johnson also delivered special remarks before the audience at the Howard Theatre. The celebratory program included awardees, supporters, host committee members, community leaders, entertainers, local and national media.


“We began the tradition of hosting an annual Trailblazers luncheon in 2013, and I made a promise then that as long as I’m Chairman, the Black Republican Trailblazers luncheon will be one of our many substantial and ongoing efforts to recognize our leaders and activists, while building new relationships and strengthening old ones,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said. “We are proud to honor the memory of Senator Brooke today, not just for being a trailblazing Republican but also for being a history-making American. Standing on the shoulders of Senator Brooke are three individuals who have made history in their own right—and just three months ago – Senator Scott, Congressman Will Hurd and Congresswoman Mia Love.” Chairman Priebus continued, “We look forward to seeing what more today’s honorees accomplish, and we look forward to seeing our country become an even better place building on the legacy of people like Senator Edward Brooke, III.”

RNC Co-Chairman Sharon Day said, “We are proud of the four black Republican history makers honored today. These inspirational and remarkable individuals have made a difference not only in the Republican Party but also in people’s lives, through both their leadership and their example.”

Sen. Tim Scott delivered remarks and said, "I want to thank Chairman Priebus and the RNC for today's recognition. I am truly honored to walk in the footsteps of giants who came before me, and to honor their memory by continuing my efforts to unleash opportunity and success in communities around the nation. This award is not about me, but about those who came before me and the people of South Carolina who voted based on their principles - not the color of my skin."

Rep. Mia Love also addressed the audience. Rep. Love said, “I am truly honored to be a recipient of this year’s RNC Trailblazer award. I am humbled to be in the company of my colleagues, Rep. Will Hurd and Sen. Tim Scott, who are truly great Americans.”

Congressman Will Hurd, a Trailblazer honoree and RNC Rising Star, said, “I don’t know if I’m blazing trails, so much as following in the footsteps of the courageous people who came before me, but I’m grateful that the RNC has chosen to honor me in this way,” said Rep. Will Hurd. ‘When I ran for Congress, the people in the 23rd Congressional District of Texas told me they wanted someone to come up here and fight hard to protect our values, our border and our nation. My background as an undercover CIA operative and cybersecurity expert has prepared me to do just that, and I take the trust they’ve placed in me very seriously.”

Learn more about the 3rd Annual RNC Black Republican Trailblazer Awards HERE.
###