Saturday, June 14, 2014

Zora Neale Hurston - I have lived in many ways



"I am not bloodthirsty and have no yearning for strife, but if what they say is true,that there must be this upset, why not make it cosmic? A lot of people would joining for the drama of it, who would not be moved by guile. I do not say that my conclusions about anything are true for the Universe, but I have lived in many ways, sweet and bitter, and they feel right for me. I have seen and heard. I have sat in judgment on the ways of others, and in the voiceless quiet of the night I have also called myself to judgment."

...more

"I have given myself the pleasure of sunrises blooming out of oceans, and sunsets drenching heaped-up clouds. I have walked in storms with a crown of clouds about my head and the zig zag lightning playing through my fingers. The gods of the upper air have uncovered their faces to my eyes. I have made friends with trees and vales. I have found out that my real home is in the water, that the earth is only my step-mother. My old man, the Sun, sired me out of the sea.”

(Zora Neale Hurston)