Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dr. Stephen L. Carter - Dear Class of 2014: Thanks for Not Disinviting Me



Members of the Class of 2014, I salute you. My warmest wishes on the occasion of your graduation from this fine institution.

 And, before I go any further, I would like to express my personal thanks to all of you for not rescinding my invitation. I know that matters were dicey for a while, given that I have held and defended actual positions on politically contested issues. Now and then I’ve strayed from the party line. And if the demonstrators would quiet down for a moment, I’d like to offer an abject apology for any way in which I have offended against the increasingly narrow and often obscure values of the academy.

Read more: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-05-15/dear-class-of-2014-thanks-for-not-disinviting-me