Saturday, April 12, 2014

Ayaan Hirsi Ali: Here's What I Would Have Said at Brandeis

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a Somali-born American women's rights and atheist activist, writer and politician who is known for her views critical of female genital mutilation and Islam.



"What was initially intended as an honor has now devolved into a moment of shaming. Yet the slur on my reputation is not the worst aspect of this episode. More deplorable is that an institution set up on the basis of religious freedom should today so deeply betray its own founding principles. The “spirit of free expression” referred to in the Brandeis statement has been stifled here, as my critics have achieved their objective of preventing me from addressing the graduating Class of 2014. Neither Brandeis nor my critics knew or even inquired as to what I might say. They simply wanted me to be silenced. I regret that very much."


Read more: Wall Street Journal http://tinyurl.com/qdtlnpj